The university was founded as a Higher Technical School in 1942 in 1945 it was transformed into a State Polytechnic. In 1953 Engineering-Construction Institute (ISI) was formed , which in 1963 was renamed to Higher Institute of engineering and construction , and in 1977 – the Higher Institute of Architecture and Construction (VIAS). he public mission of UACEG is secular and it is education- and research-oriented. Wide variety of architectural and civil engineering knowledge is acquired and practical skills are developed at the University in harmony with the local, European and global traditions as well as with the state policy for the higher education development in the Republic of Bulgaria. This mission is materialised in the course of the following degree programmes: Architecture, Structural Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering (Hydraulic Structures, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering), Water Supply and Sewerage, Geodesy, and Transportation Engineering (Road Construction, Railway Construction.