Established in 1958. Upgraded in 1991. Renamed in 1997, Shih Chien University, formerly known as Shih Chien College of Home Economics, was founded in 1958 by Mr. Tung-Min Shieh. The name “Shih Chien,” which in Chinese means “practice”, was originated from the belief of Wang Yangming, a great Chinese philosopher: “Knowledge is the beginning of practice. Doing is the completion of knowing” (1498). Shih Chien University kept this motto in mind while implementing and expanding its educational vision. Over the years, the institution evolved from a junior college to a bachelor’s degree granting institution and was renamed Shih Chien College of Design and Management in 1991. In 1997, the institution was promoted to university status. Today, the University is made up of the College of Human Ecology, the College of Design and the College of Management. The University has one campus in Taipei and another in Kaohsiung and is home to approximately 15,000 students and 700 faculty and staff.