As a higher-education institution operated by the global Seventh-day Adventist denomination, MEU is connected to the second largest Christian education system in the world. This allows the University to benefit from a constant flow of international staff and students from all over the world, fostering an intellectually and internationally open environment.
MEU was originally founded as the Adventist College of Beirut and located in Mouseitbeh. In 1946 the institution was relocated to its present location, in Sabtieh, Sad El-Bauchrieh. During the same year it was renamed Middle East College, and the cornerstone of what is now North Hall was laid by His Excellency Sheikh Bechara ElKhoury, then President of the Republic of Lebanon.
In 1949, the Lebanese Ministry of Education and Higher Learning granted the
institution the accreditation to offer studies in higher education. On June 28, 2001, Middle East College was formally and legally renamed Middle East University. This significant development further validated the role of MEU as an important center of higher education for the people of Lebanon and the Middle East.
Read the full history of MEU here.