Established in 1963 in a direct response to industrialization as Sind University Engineering College, it was affiliated with Sindh University (est. 1951) at Jamshoro until 1973, when the charter of “Engineering University” was granted under the title of “Mehran University of Engineering & Technology”. The first batch of MUET was inducted in January 1974 with enrollment of 450 students in civil, mechanical, electrical, electronics, metallurgy, chemical and industrial engineering.The school is ranked among the top ten institutions of higher learning in Pakistan by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) as of 2013. The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies in engineering, business and industrial management, humanities, philosophy, and fine arts. In addition, it is certified as having ISO 9000 compliant business processes. The university is also a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.