The Medical College traces its roots to 1893 with the founding of the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913 the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine. In 1967 Marquette University, due to financial constraints, terminated its sponsorship of the medical school. The school then continued as a private, national, freestanding institution. Its name was changed in 1970 to the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Medical College has approximately 12,500 alumni.