Georgian Technical University (GTU) is the main and largest technical university of Georgia. It is located in the capital city of Tbilisi. A university building viewed from overhead resembles the hammer and sickle form.
Georgian Technical University was founded in 1922 as a polytechnic faculty of the Tbilisi State University. The first lecture was read by the world famous Georgian mathematician Professor Andria Razmadze.
Transformed in 1928 into an independent “Georgian Politechnical Institute” it achieved University status by 1990.